Saturday, November 10, 2012

Spirit of Love Proves,Teens are Teens

When a teen boy wants to know how to kiss a girl, its a difficult hurdle to climb.As a matter of fact if a girl wants to be kissed by a boy, its a difficult hurdle as well.Bottom line; being a teen isn't an easy task in general.
I wish I could say life gets easier but truthfully life gets more complicated as you get older.There are so many factors to weigh and so many decisions to make.Teen angst turns into adult agony,and even sometimes anxiety.Not to say that teens don't experience anxiety or agonize over events in their life which are overwhelming, because they do.

One thing I know for sure after filming Spirit of Love is,Teens are Teens.
What I discovered quickly is something I've always felt in my heart.Teens are Teens whether Deaf, HOH,or Hearing. Regardless of how they communicate or process information teens are charming,funny,loving,truthful and like most of us are trying to find their way in this world.

In one behind the scenes story while filming, a HOH young man took a stand while numerous adults and others looked on, thinking he was being disrespectful to an adult,when actually he was standing up for himself for the first time in his life, just wanting to be "Normal", which is what the film is about.

While a second hearing young man shared with me through tears that his family didn't understand his need to be with friends.Because it was the first time in his life that he had his own friends,friends not in any way shape or form connected to his family, and a third young man suffered a great tragic loss previously in his life, yet on the outside everyone thought he had it altogether, but he felt his life had been taken away and now working on the film made him feel like he had a purpose,and that he could dream of possibilities again.

There is a line in the film that my character Coach Robyn says ; "If you've lived any length of time on this planet  you learn everyone has something they're insecure about."

If Spirit of Love does nothing else I pray it will cause everyone to remember kids are kids,Teens are Teens, and Adults are teens grown up with more complex problems. Being an adult doesn't mean we have it all together or all the answers.It's really like the relationship category on face book."It's Complicated"

I want everyone to know working with all of the teens on Spirit of Love has been a highlight of my life.I thoroughly enjoyed working with each and everyone of them.When I think of all the behind the scenes stories it makes me smile and warms my heart.(Even in the Heat 100 degrees+).
http://youtu.be/KtGfHIGzP-0








No comments:

Post a Comment