Thursday, September 27, 2012

Volunteers brought me a diamond in the rough

Spirit of Love http://spiritoflovemovie.com actually began three years ago when volunteer coach  Stu Klugler  brought me the story. Stu has been a volunteer coach for 25yrs for the Mike Glenn camp for the deaf and hard of hearing in Georgia.When he walked into my office he presented me with a couple of newspaper clippings and a bunch of stats.
 Stu  was familiar with my other films and thought I should know the story.I admit I thought there may be a story for a film , but I really wasnt sure what it was.Not to mention that I wasnt sure I wanted to make another film with a disabilty as the central focus.I had already completed a film,
 "The Goal"http://pro.imdb.com/title/tt0479049/ ,about wheelchair rugby with athletes who have suffered spinal cord or tramatic brain injuries.I also had completed a medical documentary called "Dandy Kids" http://pro.imdb.com/title/tt1129416/ about children and their families who receive a diagnosis of Dandy Walker Syndrome.Both films did very well and we received several awards.The films continue to impact and change peoples lives.
But at the end of the day I wanted to prove I had the ability to do something outside of a film with a known disability.Which I since have completed two other films including a short called Faces about victims of Domestic Violence.

But Stuart never let up and he joined forces with another longtime volunteer coach Phil Merlino and they eventually convinced me to write the screenplay.But truthfully it wasn't until  I recognized how close the subject matter was to my own family.(More about this in my next blog)

I did hours and months of countless research by conducting interviews with many people who have either played with Mike,went to College with him or volunteered at his camps.
This also included past campers.But even after interviewing Mike himself he agreed that the story should be about the kids and so it is.Mike is the catalyst for the story much like Robin Williams character in Dead Poets Society. I will tell you later about why I agreed to make this film and why I am so grateful to play a part in bringing this story to others.
The film is not 100% reality but it is inspired by the work that Mike and his volunteers have been doing for 33yrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment