Sunday, October 7, 2012

Don't shy away from Controversy in filmmaking.

It all started months ago and continues every day. Back when I announced that I would be making the movie Spirit of Love  I never thought of it as controversial.But apparently controversy comes in all forms.
The first controversial question came at me and I never saw it coming.
"Why would I as a white woman want to tell a black mans story?" Because its a worthy story Black or White.I'm a storyteller and that's what I do.Simple really.But I must admit my first response was,"You're kidding me right?" It's 2012 people so get a grip.

"Why would I as a hearing person want to tell a deaf & hard of hearing story?" Well first of all,its not just a deaf or hard of hearing story.True it has deaf,and hard of hearing actors,but it also has hearing actors.All whom worked beautifully together to make it happen.It's an inspiring story for all family audiences.I recently became aware of why more people should consider giving deaf & hard of hearing people opportunities in sports & the arts and I felt a personal connection.First for myself as a 50 something female baby boomer I have every right to chase a dream and make films about anything that I want. Lets face it fewer females are hired to direct or produce in Hollywood so sometimes you have to kick the door open.Secondly, why shouldn't deaf & hard of hearing individuals male or female be given the opportunity to consider the arts as an option? So from that point of view we are the same.

"Why would I want to make this film in Colorado and not Georgia?" I chose to make the film in Colorado because I had access to locations and crew people and actors that I didn't readily have available to me in Georgia.I have fought long and hard to create production jobs in Colorado.

Last but not least, "why would I want to make a family film with Christian principles and no money?"
Well I believe family films are necessary.Its an opportunity to have films that are not animated, which allow families to watch movies together which have messages that are geared to the whole family.What I mean by this is,I have nephews and nieces who are ready for films that have more to offer than animated films for the under 10 age range but not yet ready for PG13.Interesting enough you don't have to be a Christian to watch a film with Christian principles.I am a Christian filmmaker and I do believe in Christianity but I have made films with much darker content,however I do enjoy films that Inspire,Uplift,Motivate and Encourage family audiences together.

"No Money?" Well that is never the desire of any filmmaker but in this case,others thought they could bring funding and then discovered just how difficult an indie filmmakers plight really is.So we have relied on advertising,and contributions from others from around the world through one of the largest funding platforms called indiegogo.com. In our case we've done much better with the actual product placement advertising side and continue to work that aspect in order to complete the project.

We are very close to a final film edit fully scored with open captions to be enjoyed by all audiences.
We still have a desire for a few family businesses who enjoy and support family films to come on board and help us finish what was started even against all the odds and controversy that faces us daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment