Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Over the Rainbow and over the Moon

Over the Rainbow and over the Moon  is where you'll find dreamers.That would include me too.
I've dreamt of making films since I was 8 yrs old. I think all filmmakers fall into this category.While working on Spirit of Love this past summer I met a bunch of amazingly talented teens.Many of these kids have hopes and dreams that they should be allowed to have. Yet they don't always get the chance because their Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Even a few deaf adults who worked on the set also shared this with me. I guess the point really is this.

It doesn't matter who you are,everyone has an obstacle to climb. So the question is?Are you going to reach for the moon and fall amongst the stars or at the very least chase rainbows.In my case it was "Climb every Mountain."The moment I watched Maria twirling down the mountain I knew I wanted to make movies.
As a kid you receive advice from everyone, telling you to dream and believe,but I don't think they believe you will actually listen and  be a dreamer.They secretly want you to do anything but dream.

So while conducting research in Decatur Georgia at the 33rd annual Mike Glenn basketball camp this summer I had the pleasure of meeting and working with some of the most talented and amazing people.One deaf young man named Mark announced during an interview that he was preparing to be a barber because his uncle was a barber, and he respected his uncle.Mark was styling an amazing haircut.All I can tell you is it was an artistic masterpiece.

Next there was the beautiful Joanna from Iowa's school for the deaf who was beautiful,warm,and loving.It was her first time to the camp and she was thankful because it helped her to overcome her insecurities in life,not necessarily because she was deaf but most likely because she is a teenage girl.Her interview can be seen in the news story by ABC on the movie website http://spiritoflovemovie.com she dreams of college and a time where more movies with captioning can be released in theaters. That is our desire for Spirit of Love and we will find a way.

When I held auditions for the film I met a lot of wonderful kids.One girl, Maddie Burkholder  announced she would like to be a race car diver. She was not only beautiful,and athletic she was also artistic.
When she shared her artwork with me I was particularly moved by her drawing of the twin towers. I asked if she would be interested in drawing an original artwork piece to be used for the film. I believe it speaks volumes. It will be made available soon on t-shirts and coffee cups.It's a beautiful piece of artwork.

All I can say is follow your dream stay on point, make a plan, and know that you will face obstacles.If your a parent listen and I mean really listen to what your kid is saying and what they aren't saying as well.If your an adult that didn't get to dream,don't force your kid to do what you didn't get to do. Maybe that is why so many baby boomers are on their second and third careers.
At any rate I'm thrilled to be making movies and with hope and tenacity Spirit of Love will be available soon to help crush those limiting stereotypes.


No comments:

Post a Comment